Friday, March 15, 2024

"An '80s Tenement Love Story" from Bourbon Penn 31 an Aurealis Award Finalist



It's humbling to see my latest story "An '80s Tenement Love Story" recently announced as a finalist for an Aurealis Award. This is the second time I've had an individual story listed as a finalist, with the previous one being 'Reading Coffee' (Overland Literary Journal 204). I have been fortunate to have had stories in numerous finalist anthologies, including Bloodlines ed. Amanda Pillar (Ticonderoga Publications), which won the award. 

Tehani Croft is to be lauded with all the background organisation relating to the Awards.

I'd like to congratulate all finalists. I'm a fervent supporter of the Aurealis Awards, and I especially like the fact that decisions are made via a panel of judges, rather than via a populist vote that can obviously go astray with the juggernaut that is social media and online influencers.  

Personally, I've always felt that all finalists are winners. So a huge 'huzzah' to all! Please see the link for finalist stories.  Hopefully, they'll help shape your TBR shelves. 

And finally, a big shout out to Erik Secker at Bourbon Penn for choosing the story. Bourbon Penn is a world leader in literary stories from the slightly offbeat to the weird. He's a brave editor as there is always an eclectic mix of styles and voices, which I love to see as a reader. 

Currently Reading: Apart from my usual novelette and long short story reads, I've just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which impressed, especially in a thematic sense in terms of what it privileged regarding humanity and the arts and learning. Be prepared for an emotional hit though; after all, it is a WW2 novel.  And I'm currently reading A Special Providence by Richard Yates,  one of the finest writers to ever put pen to paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment