My latest story 'Departures' is out in Penumbric August 2k26 Issue 2, aptly titled Journeys.
Jeff Georgeson, the editor of Penumbric, has arranged a fine lineup here and I look forward to reading the other contributors' stories. The storyteller team includes: Lyra Meurer, Deborah Davitt, Alyce Lomax, Beth Cato, Jennifer Crow, Gordon Sun, Jess Gofton, Hibah Shabkhez, Cecil Fenn, Stephanie Johnson, Reema Rajbanshi, James Edward O’Brien, Gabriel Shestack, Abby Nicole Yee, Nathan Chu and Marge Simon.
"Departures' has a nonagenarian witness point of view, for the most part, observing the story of a Womban ...Yes, a Womban is probably what you're thinking of...
If you're into refugee and persecution issues, issues with aging in the future, Wombans..., gardens, cafes, nature, centenarian ships, an imaginative future etc then this story may be for you.
The direct link to the story is here: https://www.penumbric.com/currentissue/panegyresDepartures.html and to the edition as a whole here: https://www.penumbric.com/currentissue/cover.html Penumbric is also available in PDF form.
I always look out for fellow anthology/journal buddies, and this time around it's Deborah Davitt, also known as Deborah L. Davitt. We both contributed to Masque & Maelström Volume 1: The Reluctant Exhumation of Edgar Allen Poe Ed. Jessica Augustsson. And with a parochial aside, it is fab to see an another Aussie contributor in the internationally flavoured lineup in Stephanie Johnson, who is also known as S.L Johnson.
This story wasn't written in isolation. A refugee anthology from Ticonderoga had a story of mine ready for the lineup, and, as I had written for them before, they said that the offerings were good but very bleak and if possible could I write a story a little more uplifting for inclusion. This is that story. Not saying that you'll be dancing around chimneys with Mary Poppins and Bert though...The anthology, however; never went ahead for valid reasons that I won't expand on here. So, I made some structural and stylistic changes on the story and shazam.
I have a few fellow writers to thank from my old writing group along with Liz Grzyb, the editor at Ticonderoga Publications who gave me the impetus to write this story. So here's to Daniel Simpson, Marty Young and Pete Kempshall, along with Carol Ryles. May we all be sniffing around green spaces and gardens in the future All of the folks mentioned here, I wine and dine and enjoy games evenings with every month and a half or so. I also promised Angela Slatter a sincere thank you. Angela especially aided me with surgically tightening the opening, which really helped the story along.
Current Reads:
Odyssey Stephen Fry. A somewhat lighter retelling, but incredibly fun and also catches most of the events along with the essence of the epic tale.
My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout, which is an absolutely dazzling collection of stories.
The Time of Contempt by Andrezej Sapkowski for some escapist fantasy.
The Old Greeks: Cinema, Photography and Imagination by George Kavouros. This is a highly intelligent rich memoir, providing some fascinating personal and cultural context regarding the Greek migrants and their families in Australia.
No comments:
Post a Comment