Monday, January 24, 2011

Books Read in 2010

I read fewer books in 2010, due to three reasons:

  1.  I'm taking careful note of writers' prose: its construction; what tools the author has used etc. 
  2.  I've read a lot of short stories.
  3. A big knee op. kept me out of action
I've placed the following reads in order of my own personal preference, but all have merit. 


Scotland: A Very Short Introduction Rab Houston

The Quiet American Graham Greene

161 Will Self (novella)

Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores (novella) Gabriel Garcia Marquez

How the Dead Live Will Self

Grand Central Winter  Lee Stringer

The Leaf Storm Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Tenth Man Graham Greene

Arabian Nights and Days Naguib Mahfouz

The Names Don Delilo

Horn (novella) Peter M Ball

Ruined Earth Stephen Donaldson

The Third Man (novella)  Graham Greene

The Left Hand of Darkness Ursula Le Guin 

161 and The Quiet American were both fantastic reads.

I was a little disappointed by both The Third Man (although it may be a better movie) and The Left Hand of Darkness (which had plenty of interesting ideas but seemed too forced plot-wise for my liking). 





No comments:

Post a Comment