Saturday, July 7, 2012

Writers [on Writing]: Richard Ford


Pulitzer Prize winning author, Richard Ford, was the editor of the The Granta Book of the American Short Story (1992), an outstanding anthology that I'd recommend to anyone interested in the meatier variety of short stories. I would imagine that his more recent Blue Collar, White Collar, No Collar: Stories of Work (editor again) will be an equally satisfying collection when I come around to reading it (it's on my 'reading shelf').

A while ago, I read Richard Ford for my first and only time (outside of his New York Times' essay) with his short story "Rock Springs". The work had a rhythmical quality and Ford's words rolled silkily along, flowing right off the pages. Ever since, I've meant to return to Richard Ford and finally, a couple of days ago, I bought his latest release, Canada, which had Perth short story writer, A.G McNeil, bounding around New Edition Bookstore while he recommended it to me.



As a writer, Richard Ford suggests taking extended time off:

"...in essence help to "forget" everything in order that you "invent" something better. And by doing all this, we pay reverence to art's sacred incentive - that the whole self, the complete will, be engaged."

Richard Ford, Goofing Off, While the Muse Recharges

Refreshing to hear an author writing about breaks, isn't it?


2 comments:

  1. I thought that it was nose down every day! Canada was on my book club's list but they didn't choose it - I'll have to check him out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really fine writer, Jeremy. Well worth investigating.

      Delete