Thursday, May 5, 2011

Books Bought Recently

Books Bought Recently

I recently bought from my two favourite Perth bookstores: Planet Books (Mt Lawley) and New Edition (Fremantle and Northbridge).

I still buy books even though I do realise that I already have a depressingly insurmountable reading list. When choosing, I use a random number system on my 'want-to-read-list' to ensure that I read a variety of writers (terribly nerdy, I know).
Anyway the buys and reasons for them are as follows:

PLANET BOOKS:

  •  The Last Werewolf  by Glen Duncan. I heard him interviewed on the radio while driving to work. It sounded like a great read, plus a FB friend, Karen, recommended it.
  • The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I enjoyed The Lovely Bones so what the Hell.
  • The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter. Sounds riveting and I have always been curious. 



NEW EDITION 
  • Gentleman of the Road by Michael Chabon. I read Chabon's book about writing and reading so buying a novel by him that appealed to me seemed the next logical step.
  • New Australian Stories 2 by Scribe Publications. Outside of the journals I subscribe to, I largely read writers from abroad. I've been thinking that I should read more from the local market. The guy working at the bookstore also had a story in the collection and I felt a sudden compulsion to support an emerging Perth writer. 

Feel free to comment on any of the above books and what your recent buys (if any) are. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Anthony. The Bloody Chamber is a book I have often returned to since my university days. I love the way it turns the tales inside out and on their heads while keeping in the spirit of the genre. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. Glad to hear another endorsement for Carter's work. I'm looking forward to reading her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I read the Bloody Chamber as well, and I enjoyed it a lot. However, there was a binding error in my edition and about 20 pages was repeated, meaning that I never got to read the end of the title story. Bummer. I need to read some more Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Guy. Imagine if they did that in a novel! Definitely looking forward to reading her work.

    Just read an enthusiastic review recommending Duncan's novel on the Southerly blog.

    ReplyDelete